Barely grounded after a month in Asia, Stew and I rallied for a Power Monday last week. Don't wish to ever do this again, but it qualifies as an adventure in sustainability so here we go. . .
4am: Betsy's alarm. Flight to Brussels is at 6:30. Trains will take an hour to get there. Must ride my bike to the station first. How fast can I get ready?
Thoughts going through my head: 1) Can I bike to the station in this skirt? Or do I need to care at 4:15 am? 2) What is this meeting about and do I have a presentation for it?
4:30am: Shocked at how many folks are getting on the Sbahn at this time.
5:45am: Arrive at the airport. Stew's alarm goes off. His flight is to Stockholm at 9:30. We're texting in security wishing each other good luck at our meetings. I remember I'm going to meet with the Federation of the European Sporting Goods Industry. Stew is talking sustainability with a Swedish client. How long can this security line of commuters get? 25 more steps until I'm in the Lufthansa lounge drinking a latte with the two minutes I have to spare before the 10 min. cut off on boarding.
8:30: Am I really already sitting in the lounge at the Brussels airport? Need to write a presentation and get a few emails out before heading into the city. Never been to Brussels. Wish I had time to do something other than try the Belgian beer in the lounge (waiting to the pm for that -- must clarify because all my lounge buddies are already drinking beer at this time). Flight home is at 6pm tonight though and meetings will fill the all the time in between.
Noon: Stew and I are texting each other from different countries and comparing notes on the ratio of the cost and GHG emissions to $ benefit for attending our meetings. We should have skyped -- or that's how it seems at present. You never know with these kind of meetings. One important connection can have huge rewards. I'm rethinking the train though. 7 hours from Munich to Brussels. Door to door did the plane travel take just as long? Plane wins on short minute notice this time, but next time it's a train and hotel -- cheaper, far more civilized, better on the planet, and better on me.
Our dog is on one hell of a playdate. Our friend Megan is sending us pictures of Pilot romping through the English Garden with his best bud "Captain". Stew and I are jealous of our dog.
Pilot and Captain
3pm: Presentation made. Opportunities identified. Some important connections made. Brussels looks pretty from the cab windows. Bummer to not SEE this place. European policy conversations will keep me coming back here though.
4pm: A trade org meeting ending early?!! Thrilled. Time to catch up with my Puma colleagues at the airport. Beer and conversation exchange later, I'm on the flight home at 6:30. Power night is about to begin.
8pm: Back in Munich. Munich airport is terrific if you haven't been there. SBUX when you walk out of customs -- you can crawl there off your redeye. Across the hall is a full on grocery store! Brilliant! I do our grocery shopping while waiting for Stew's flight to arrive 30 min. later.
Sunset landing in Munich Love grocery shopping at the airport!
9pm: We're taxing it home with a stop off to pick up Pilot in Schwabbing. He's wiped from his playdate. Stew and I can barely move. Stew is still reeling from the Asian time difference (he arrived back from Japan two days prior)
10pm: At home. Remember to do important things like pay my US mortgage before conking out.
10:30pm: Well deserved sleep for the three of us :)
And that's how your family pulls off a day working and playing in three countries without spending a night away!
4am: Betsy's alarm. Flight to Brussels is at 6:30. Trains will take an hour to get there. Must ride my bike to the station first. How fast can I get ready?
Thoughts going through my head: 1) Can I bike to the station in this skirt? Or do I need to care at 4:15 am? 2) What is this meeting about and do I have a presentation for it?
4:30am: Shocked at how many folks are getting on the Sbahn at this time.
5:45am: Arrive at the airport. Stew's alarm goes off. His flight is to Stockholm at 9:30. We're texting in security wishing each other good luck at our meetings. I remember I'm going to meet with the Federation of the European Sporting Goods Industry. Stew is talking sustainability with a Swedish client. How long can this security line of commuters get? 25 more steps until I'm in the Lufthansa lounge drinking a latte with the two minutes I have to spare before the 10 min. cut off on boarding.
8:30: Am I really already sitting in the lounge at the Brussels airport? Need to write a presentation and get a few emails out before heading into the city. Never been to Brussels. Wish I had time to do something other than try the Belgian beer in the lounge (waiting to the pm for that -- must clarify because all my lounge buddies are already drinking beer at this time). Flight home is at 6pm tonight though and meetings will fill the all the time in between.
Noon: Stew and I are texting each other from different countries and comparing notes on the ratio of the cost and GHG emissions to $ benefit for attending our meetings. We should have skyped -- or that's how it seems at present. You never know with these kind of meetings. One important connection can have huge rewards. I'm rethinking the train though. 7 hours from Munich to Brussels. Door to door did the plane travel take just as long? Plane wins on short minute notice this time, but next time it's a train and hotel -- cheaper, far more civilized, better on the planet, and better on me.
Our dog is on one hell of a playdate. Our friend Megan is sending us pictures of Pilot romping through the English Garden with his best bud "Captain". Stew and I are jealous of our dog.
Pilot and Captain
3pm: Presentation made. Opportunities identified. Some important connections made. Brussels looks pretty from the cab windows. Bummer to not SEE this place. European policy conversations will keep me coming back here though.
4pm: A trade org meeting ending early?!! Thrilled. Time to catch up with my Puma colleagues at the airport. Beer and conversation exchange later, I'm on the flight home at 6:30. Power night is about to begin.
8pm: Back in Munich. Munich airport is terrific if you haven't been there. SBUX when you walk out of customs -- you can crawl there off your redeye. Across the hall is a full on grocery store! Brilliant! I do our grocery shopping while waiting for Stew's flight to arrive 30 min. later.
Sunset landing in Munich Love grocery shopping at the airport!
9pm: We're taxing it home with a stop off to pick up Pilot in Schwabbing. He's wiped from his playdate. Stew and I can barely move. Stew is still reeling from the Asian time difference (he arrived back from Japan two days prior)
10pm: At home. Remember to do important things like pay my US mortgage before conking out.
10:30pm: Well deserved sleep for the three of us :)
And that's how your family pulls off a day working and playing in three countries without spending a night away!



No comments:
Post a Comment